Sunday, September 25, 2011

4 X 2 Mile

On Friday I woke to a set of overly tight calves.  This isn't a terribly uncommon occurrence as of late, but as a result I decided to just run easy.  So I got 10 in, with the last 3 jogging along with the dog.  Later in the day, I changed my mind.

I went out to Algonkian and warmed up for 3 miles in  the rain.  Then ran 4 X 2 on the road loop in 10:33, 10:28, 10:31, 10:38.  The rest was all around 1:50 jogging, so for a workout with that minimal of recovery it went fairly well.  I cooled down and was sufficiently tired. I have done this workout in past marathon build ups, though I believe the fastest I have ever averaged is ~10:40 with more rest built in than I took during this instance. 

Yesterday I decided to run short and absorb as much as possible from the workout.  Today will be a relatively shorter effort as well to simply give my body a little bit more recovery.  At this point in training the importance lies in maximizing the harder efforts, and maximizing how I recover from them; not maximizing my overall mileage is a hard thing to feel comfortable with, but the goal is to run fast not run a set mileage amount. 

No comments:

Blog Archive