Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Quarters

This evening Dustin and I went to the track to do a session of quarters.  The goal going in was to run 12 times 400 m with 100 m jog recovery.  I initially wanted to start out around 1:18 and finish the workout up around 1:15.

We ended up running consistently in the 1:16 range for the first 4-5, and then the pace began to drop with a few 1:12s mixed in between 5-10.  The last two were 1:10 and 1:11.

This is the first short interval measured workout I have done since the surgery in August.  It ended up feeling very mechanically efficient and relatively simple until the last two repeats.

After I left my college team I really stayed away from ever doing quarter workouts, aside from one poignant workout.  I remember them as being so hard when I was younger, and in particular, with much greater rest than we took this evening.  Now in comparison there are other workouts which require so much more focus and patience.  It's neat to watch the evolution of how these things go.

Hit 85 for total mileage last week, with a long run of 16+ around 6:45 pace.  Still a little sore in my Hip Flexor/Psoas/Adductor groups, but otherwise running appears to feel as easy as it ever has from a mechanical perspective.

No comments:

Blog Archive